Senior Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
The Senior Staff Accountant reviews and processes for payment purchase orders, invoices, statements, vouchers, and/or other check requests, as appropriate. Draws, verifies, and posts payment checks, and prepares ledger entries. Handles the resolution of account discrepancies and procedural inquires. Performs general ledger account reconciliations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Receives and reviews purchase orders, check requests, and/or other related documentation for completeness and compliance with financial policies and procedures.
- Matches original invoices and requests for payment with internal purchase orders or check requests; code and enter invoices into Accounts Payable (A/P) system (including payroll payables), and makes modifications, as necessary.
- Codes, verifies, and enters accounts payable data into Fleet Net or another accounting program, as appropriate.
- Matches check with invoices – sends out payment weekly.
- Reconciles statements with vendors.
- Generates reports from A/P when required.
- Enters travel reimbursements after reconciled by D.E. Administration.
- Maintains files for all BJCTA payments to vendors.
- Maintains, updates, and submits 1099’s to the Internal Revenue Service and vendors.
- Records activity to operating and money market accounts and reconcile bank accounts daily, researching any discrepancies, and reporting back to the Accounting Manager.
- Enters all fixed assets into the register.
- Files all Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) tax and reimbursements for 720 & 8849
- Handles reimbursements to pass-thru vendors as directed.
- Prepares quarterly grants reporting to Federal Transit Administration (FTA) as directed.
- Prepares allocation and correcting journal entries.
- Serves as backup to A/R for ticket sales.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts.
- Develops and maintains aging schedule.
- Works in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Completes assigned task in timely and proficient manner.
- Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
- Attends mandatory meetings, as required.
Education: Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
Experience: Five years of bookkeeping or accounting experience and/or minimum five years of progressively responsible experience performing financial or statistical recordkeeping; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of standard accounts payable and receivable policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Knowledge of grants and grant reporting.
- Proficiency in analyzing and solving problems, including vendor payment resolution.
- Ability to understand and interpret vendor invoices, statements, and other requests for payment.
- Ability to perform data entry.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word or other computer technology, including automated accounting system.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Knowledge of mathematics.
- Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in processing fixed assets and depreciation.
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace, and an Equal Opportunity Employer.